Friday, August 28, 2009

Things I Learned Today

I like this topic, so I'm gonna stick with it until it has run its course.

*I learned that "riparian" means "of, on, or relating to the banks of a natural course of water." In a similar vein, I also learned that "effluent" means "something that flows out or forth, especially (among other things) a stream that flows out of a body of water. [Note: all definitions are coming from thefreedictionary.com.]

Context: Reading for Environmental Law, of course.


*I learned that Sheryl Crow sold her catalogue for $10 million. Not bad. I should probably say something like "All she wants to do is have some fun, amirite?!?!" but I'm above that.

Context: Listening to the radio in my CD-playerless car.

*I learned that tundra is a biome (an area, essentially) whereas permafrost is the actual soil that stays below 32 degrees year-round. At least, that's my understanding as of now--I could have that mixed up.

Context: Ironically, this has nothing to do with Environ Law. I was watching Cash Cab and this question arose (my best approximation): "What soil or surface covering 70% of Alaska is known for staying at or below 32 degrees year-round?" I guessed tundra, it was permafrost (which sounds obvious when you read the question with the word perma-frost in your head).

*I learned that "[i]t is not always easy to decide what is heads and tails on a given coin. Numismatics (the scientific study of money) defines the obverse and reverse of a coin rather than heads and tails." (from random.org) and here I've been saying "heads" and "tails" like a sucker!

Context: $10k flips to get unstuck after a bad session, obviously.

*Finally, I learned that Tracy (no one we knew, of course) should probably never use facebook again.

Context: 2p2

No comments:

Post a Comment