Sunday, May 8, 2011

Title IX

 
Most everyone has heard of Title IX (read: Title Nine) and could give a brief description of its purpose: to promote gender equality in the world of collegiate sports.  When a university cuts wrestling or another male varsity sport, Title IX often bears the blame.  In these next few paragraphs, we'll examine just what Title IX requires of universities and the various ways these schools comply with the federal law.



In 1972, Congress passed and President Nixon signed into law Title IX, which reads in part that "[n]o person . . . shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in . . . any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance."  Since virtually every university gets some federal funding, Title IX applies to virtually every college in America.

In 1979, the Carter Administration's Office of Civil Rights issued a Policy Interpretation that elaborated on the requirements of Title IX. The OCR created three ways for a university to conform with the law, which I will paraphrase:
  1. The school must have equal athletic opportunities for men and women.
  2. If the school doesn't have equal athletic opportunities, it must have a continuous record of expanding its programs to meet the needs of the underrepresented sex (women).
  3. If the university can't meet #1 or #2, it must demonstrate that women's interests are fully accommodated by its current programs.
A quick example will clarify these regulations.  Let's say Northwestern has an enrollment of 3,000 men and 2,000 women.  Let's also say that 500 men are interested in collegiate athletics, and 250 women are interested in collegiate athletics.  Northwestern could comply with Title IX by doing any of the following:
  • Provide varsity slots for men and women at a 3-to-2 ratio.  (For every 3 slots for men, there must be 2 for women.)  This would satisfy Requirement #1.
  • Be able to show that it's continually adding women's sports to its offerings.  This would satisfy Requirement #2.
  • Provide 250 slots for women.  This satisfies Requirement #3.  According to our example, 250 women want to play sports.  To fully accommodate women, NU must have 250 slots for women.
The following options would not be in compliance with Title IX:
  • Provide varsity slots for men and women at a 2-to-1 ratio, which corresponds with the number of men and women interested in sports.  Courts think this is myopic; just because women aren't that interested in sports at the moment doesn't mean they won't become more interested in the future.
  • Have an equal amount of men's and women's teams.  This might work, but it doesn't necessarily satisfy Title IX, which concerns itself with the number of roster slots.  A college football team has 110 or so slots, depending on the school, whereas a women's tennis team will have 15 or so.  You can see how an equal number of sports, by itself, doesn't suffice.  [Aside: this is partly why schools have such huge women's crew teams.  At least at NU, I believe every girl who tried out for varsity crew made the team--not that stopped those girls from acting cool for being a varsity "athlete."]
  • Say to the court, "yeah, our women aren't fully represented, but so what?  Neither are our men.  500 want to play sports, and we only have room for 300.  It's a tough economic climate and we can't afford enough teams for everyone."  The courts don't care.  Title IX concerns itself with the underrepresented gender; how the men are doing is irrelevant (unless they're the ones who are underrepresented).

Hope this shed some light on a fairly well-known topic of law.  For further reading, here's an NYT article on the subject.  Btw, my sports law final is tomorrow, so if you're getting sick of these sports-law themed posts, you're in luck.

7 comments:

  1. I really like your example; it made this really easy to understand. But, how do they establish the number of women who are interested in sports? Is there one set methodology across the country? I can imagine colleges would try to finesse those numbers with creative surveying and analysis if given the opportunity, just like they find ways to inflate their employment rate of graduates to raise their rankings (for example).

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: I hope you aced your Sport Law final!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good question, Nelly. I don't know the answer, but I would guess that to some extent the number isn't measured. Rather, if there are no women complaining about sports, the school assumes it's doing okay. If a bunch of women threaten a lawsuit, the school knows it might have to add a sport (or comply with T9 in other ways). Just speculation, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the information! I have always heard about this but I like the nutshell summary and easy to follow example!

    I like the idea, purpose, and hopes behind Title IX but the only thing that concerns me is the possibility that it could have an opposite effect than hoped for. Of course, this may not be a likely effect but I like to play "devil's advocate" as you may know. Do you think that by expanding the opportunities that women have can actually bring down the prestige and talent of already-existing female athletic programs. For example, my undergrad began a women's rugby team while I was there. They were having some troubles recruiting females to play. They even asked me if I would be interested in playing(regardless of the contact invovled and my not even 110 lb body--at the time.) If they created a team of females who were willing to play but still not skilled,and therefore lost or played very poorly could this not reinstate the idea that females are not up to par with men when it comes to athleticsm?

    I hope this comment is coherent and logical. It is a lot easier to say it out loud than write it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an interesting concern, LSMMC, but I personally don't think that T9 will really drag down the prestige of a particular female athletic program. The UConn women's bball team is mighty prestigious, even though there are a bunch of women's bball teams out there that exist largely because of T9 and frankly can't compete with a UConn or Tennessee. Admittedly, many people respect that UConn women's win streak less than they respect the UCLA men's (shorter) streak for precisely that reason: the women had way more cupcake opponents than the men. (I can't back that claim up with stats; that's just the conventional wisdom.) This is a legitimate criticism.

    That said, I don't think the presence of a lot of weak teams in a particular sport diminishes a program's prestige. Yes, a women's championship probably means less than a men's, because there is less top-to-bottom talent in women's sports than in men's sports (simply because men have been playing sports for much longer). But, so what? Sports is about being the best, not about meeting a certain threshold of excellence. To fall back to my preferred topic for analogies (poker), we give as much love to the winner of a 2,000 person tournament as we do to the winner of a 3,000 person tournament.

    Hopefully, T9 will continue to get and keep women involved in sports from an earlier age. This will result in stronger college teams across the board and a level of parity and competitiveness on par with men's sports.

    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good comment billy!

    I gota admit though, it is hard for me to put the UConn and Tennessee's Womens basketball programs in here because they are such outliers. I don't think it would be fair to women's basketball and all the other sports that have been affected by T9 more than women's basketball to have them legitimized by the level of play of this sport women's sport. Just as an example of how established women's basketbal already is, when I type in "history of women's" in google, basketball is the 2nd drop-down option, only after "rights." (Ok so I know this is not the best E I could have come up with but it's just an example that I thought you could appreciate.)In addition, women in college began to play basketball just a couple of years after basketball was invented. (http://www.womensbasketballmuseum.com/) However, I must admit I am not sure whether this is true for other sports.

    I would have to argue against your comment that "Sports is about being the best, not about meeting a certain threshold of excellence." I believe all the greats, and I have no quotes or real evidence to back this up, but it is my belef that all the greats would not be satisfied wiht simply being "the best" at what they do. Although you know his personality much better, I my guess would be that Michael Jordan would not be satisfied with just one Championship and being MVP. I feel like regardless of being the best of his time, he wanted to continue his improvement, continue to work towards wowing people, continue to strive to be even more excellent than he already was because he was not only competeing with others but he was competing with himself, pushing himself to see how great he could be and not just be better than everybody else.

    Also, I totally accept your poker analogy because you know the mentality of a poker world 100x more than I do. I have to admit, when it comes to skill, I can appreciate the fact that I would have respect for a beginner poker player who beat out 2,000 other beginner poker players. However, it is hard to imagine that I would respect that just as much as I would a professional who beat 2,000 other professionals. But, I do agree that a person winning 2,000 vs. 3,000 is pretty much just as respectable. That is a great analogy though because I can see now how level of play doesn't necessarily define existence of respect!!! Nice job on convincing the (sometimes) "devil's advocate" :)

    Thanks for your response!

    also, I don't know how to make my name pop up instead of the awfully long title lol I hope this works...

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Hopefully, T9 will continue to get and keep women involved in sports from an earlier age. This will result in stronger college teams across the board and a level of parity and competitiveness on par with men's sports."

    Absolutely!!!
    More women dunking one day?!? I think YES!! (http://youtu.be/feE1G2sJty0):)

    ReplyDelete